Are you all about recycling? Do you save your newspapers and soda cans and send them to the recycler? Do you drop off your old clothes to thrift stores? Have you ever thought about what happens to your automobile at the end of its useful life?
The automobile recycling industry has been thriving for over a seventy-five years. Though it may not seem like a tree hugger’s dream, auto recycling helps our planet. The parts in your car today will come in handy when it comes to making your children’s cars in the future. Now, you may be thinking, “But technology will be so advanced by the time my two year-old is driving.” That is true, but car recycling will proceed along with it.
Did you know?
1. Automobiles are the most recycled product in the world. Every year, over 25 million tons of the things we recycle are from vehicles. Metal, windshield glass, aluminum, individual parts, and tires (to name a few) are among the most common recycled materials and assets these days.
2. 86% of your vehicle can be reused after market. That means things like the engine coolant, motor oil, or the battery. These things are important, because it means less natural resources are used to make new vehicles. Approximately 90% of the aluminum in a car can be reused or recycled to make new cars.
3. Each year, Americans recover 25 million tons of auto parts. Professional auto salvage operations tear apart the engine and transmission to retrieve useable parts. This is especially important for individuals who need a rare component that is not in production any more. And rebuilt parts are cheaper than new parts
4. Every year, the amount of recycled car parts in the United States is sufficient enough to produce roughly 13,000 new cars.
5. In addition to more autos, the aluminum we recycle can be reused to make airplane parts, bicycles, countertops, soda cans, tile, and some jewelry. Car tires are used to make asphalt, flooring, and shoes. Glass beads, jewelry, bottles, and dishes are made from windshields, as well as tile flooring, countertops, and porcelain.
Green auto owners want to extend the life of their auto as long as possible. Here at I-86 Truck & Auto Repair in Falconer, that's exactly what we do by providing expert car repair and maintenance services. Call 716-665-2501 to speak with a service technician.
Comedian Jeff Foxworthy points out that if you mow your lawn and find an old car, you might be a redneck. But see if you can get some quality parts out of it.